Manga Classics: The Stories of Edgar Allan Poe

Many thanks go to Net Galley and the publisher, Udon Entertainment, for allowing me to read an advance readers copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I remember the first time I read or heard any of Edgar Allan Poe's works. It was The Raven as performed by The Simpsons. It was my first experience of this dark, creepy poem but not my last, as I read it also a few years ago. I've wanted to read Poe recently, to see what else he wrote, and I guess I was a little nervous about it. But when I got this chance to read 5 of his stories, converted into Manga, I couldn't say no.

The stories told in this volume are The Tell-Tale Heart, The Cask of Amontillado, The Raven, The Masque of the Red Death, and The Fall of the House of Usher. I had heard of the first and last, and as you already know I've read The Raven before, but the other two were complete unknowns to me. And my verdict? Loved it! All five tales are dark and slightly sinister, and all are related with death in various ways. The art on every page was amazing, each story illustrated by a different artist.

Some of my students have asked me what I like about the Manga Classic series, and it is simply this. They make the stories accessible to those who are uncertain if they will enjoy the stories and don't have the time to commit to trying a heavy book they may not like, and also because they are great as a reminder of the stories you may have already read and just want a reminder. I'm sure that something must get lost with the bigger novels, like the writers full descriptions of places and people, but you can see what they had in mind, at least, as the art shows us one interpretation. This experience with Poe was wonderful because you not only feel the tension in the words, but you see it in the art. The Fall of the House of Usher is a perfect example of this.

My conclusion? I highly recommend this great volume if you like Poe, horror, or Manga. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I have!

Star rating: 5/5
33776413
This book is due for publication on 27th October 2017...just in time for Halloween!

Comments